Rummanah Aasi

Welcome to the second week of the Some Girls Bite Read-Along! For those of you who don't know, the fabulous ladies behind Tina's Book Reviews, Superntural Snark, The Unread Reader and myself are hosting a read-along of the first book of Chloe Neill's outstanding Chicagoland Vampires urban fantasy series. Each week we'll pose and answer five questions about the book and then hop around to the other blogs who have signed up to check out everyone's answers! For all the details about the event and our grand prize giveaway, be sure and check out the introductory post HERE.

Tina is the host this week, so be sure and visit her site to link up your posts and join in the discussion! I will be hosting next week and you can find my discussion questions at the bottom of my post today. I will have a linky next Tuesday so you can post up your answers.





CHAPTERS 5-8

In what is a make you blush, steamy scene in the book- Chapter 5 has Ethan and Merit sharing a few hot moments after Merit's hunger strikes...that is until Ethan becomes a total cad! What do you think of him so far? Strong, masterful vampire, conceited playboy.....lover boy in disguise?
  Ethan is an enigma, isn't he? He is undeniably gorgeous and arrogant, but there is definitely more to him as the series continues. It's hard to be mad at the guy. I mean he's been a vampire for over 300 years and can't remember what his humanity feels like, which is why I think there's a strong attraction between him and Merit, who has just been turned. As a side note, Katy Perry's song Hot n' Cold  reminds me a lot of Ethan's sudden mood swings.

Merit and Mallory begin some major training in these next few chapters, resulting in cool Katana Sword facts and Ninja moves. What is the most physically challenging or adrenaline fueled event/activity you have participated in?
I think the most grueling moment for me is fasting during Ramadan while working 10 nonstop hours during the high school's registration. For those of who don't know, Ramadan is a month that Muslims fast (no food, no drink including water) from sunrise to sunset. It's a month of reflection, spiritual reawakening, and being grateful for what you have.

Mallory and Catcher have sparks so intense they almost fly off the page.....what do you think of this cozy couple? Did you like the insta-love between them? Do they add to the story?
I know I talk about how annoying insta-love can be in YA, but I really don't mind it as much on the adult fiction level mainly because I've seen authors either build that moment until the two characters get together or in the case of Mallory and Catcher, explain why these two work so well. I do think Catcher and Mallory add to the story and may even give us a hint if something becomes of Merit and Ethan.

Lets talk Bff's....Mallory is hands down a terrific friend to Merit, the girls relationship is real, down to earth and fun....not to mention hysterical. What is your favorite memory or favorite thing to do with your bff? Feel free to share pics!

My BFF and I had planned on going to see the movie Troy (the one with Brad Pitt as Achilles). I didn't have a car so she drove over to my apartment in Chicago and then we got to chatting as I did a really quick search on Mapquest to get directions for a theater near by, but we didn't really read them to see if they made sense. As the movie time got closer, we jumped into her car and ended up driving circles on Lake Shore Drive because we couldn't find the exit for the movie theater. We actually ended up having lunch at Ed Debevics. When Troy finally came on DVD, we did a girls night out and watch it. It was horrible and ridiculous. We ended up mocking the movie while we watched it. Perhaps our getting lost was a sign!

Things are starting to heat up in the mystery department...the set up at Red, Morgan's flirty appearance.... Catchers vague answers......as correlation day gets closer for Merit do you think someone is out to get her...or maybe recruit her to another house? Or PS- feed her some more food...because goodnight this girl likes to eat!!! 

Ah, Morgan. You know, I thought was kinda nice and he's definitely has a thing for Merit but I'm not  really feeling it between them. It seems like a one-sided thing.  As a side note, I love that Merit loves food. Finally, a woman who has an appetite and not ashamed of it. I just wished I had her metabolism!


Discussion Questions Chapter 9-12

1. Catcher and Ethan share some personality traits. What makes Mallory, Merit, and even us readers attracted to these guys? Would you date/mate with someone like these guys in real life?

2. In Chapter 9 we learn of another murder. Do you see any patterns with the previous murder and Merit's attack? Do you have any guesses as to who is responsible and the motive behind the murders?

3. The commendation is my favorite moment in the book and a significant event in Merit's life. She has finally come to terms that she is a Cadogan vampire. Were you surprised at all that Merit resisted Ethan's call and that he made her a Sentinel? Do you think she'll do well in this position? Why or why not?

4. Loyalty is a reoccurring theme throughout the book and much of this series. Why is it so important to Ethan that he needs Merit's allegiance? Is it solely a Master and Sentinel thing or does it imply something else?

5. If you had the opportunity to sit down with Ethan, Merit, Mallory, and Catcher for a bite to eat like in the beginning of Chapter 12, what questions would you ask them at this point of the story?
17 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    Oh man. I'm not sure I'm mentally strong enough to fast from sunrise to sunset. I work from home and every time I walk through the kitchen something ends up in my mouth. Chips. Chocolate. My hands just shoot out of their own accord and grab things!

    Oh, and love the girl's night with Troy! I can't even tell you how many times I've watched that movie. Eric Bana isn't hard to look at either:)


  2. Anonymous Says:

    LOL!! Oh my gosh the only good thing about Troy was all the hot men in it...:D

    On a more serious note- I admire you for being able to fast that long, I would prob fall over from my body eating itself!!


  3. That song is a perfect way to describe Ethan, although when balancing the heart and the head of someone in his position, I can see why. **shrugs** I compartmentalize, too.

    I remember my good HS friend having to fast for Ramadan, so I always felt bad at lunch. My metabolism is really high, so I think I'd be ravenous by sunset! Good for you with your self-discipline, though.

    I think the insta-love added a lot! It didn't bug me either - their antics were comic relief. "I don't have time to deal with you right now." **snorts**


  4. I have a lot of respect for people who observe Ramadan. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do it. But I've had students who will fast for Ramadan while going to school for eight hours.


  5. Not even water? And you worked a 10 hour shift! Wow! You're amazing.

    I think you're right about Ethan and him being so removed from his humanity, but then again, isn't he the only one of this house that can make new vampires? That means he's around newbies all the time. I don't know.. something about him just doesn't add up for me.


  6. Hubby does Ramadan every year and let me tell you, even though I don't do it, it's hard for me, too. Hopefully that doesn't sound bad, but Hubs is always different during that month and usually it's because he's hungry, LOL! Men! But, he also always drops like 10-15 pounds or something so I know it has to be hard. Mostly because he watches me and the girls eat and never says a word. Sometimes he'll take me out to dinner and won't touch a bite until sunset. It's quite amazing.

    Ethan is indeed bipolar. HA! I never know what he's going to do next which makes him an interesting character. Sometimes I want to hit him and sometimes I want to kiss him!


  7. Wow! Fasting every day for a month that must take a lot of will power. I guess it might be a good way to lose a few pounds. What happens if you cheat? Just curious.
    Props to you. I don't know if I could do it.


  8. oh and even though Troy sucked..seeing,Brad Pitt scantily clad. That man still does it for me!


  9. LoveOfBooks Says:

    I would totally stuff my face before sunrise. What a loser, huh? lol. That really is awesome though.. maybe I should try that while the days are still short. No way could I do it during the summer.

    Ooo those questions for next week look verrry interesting


  10. Jenny: Being at home and fasting just sucks! I'd rather be busy at work or something to get my mind off of food.

    Tina: No kidding!

    Linds: Yeah, I think he's so used to being a vamp that things like that fly out of his mouth without a second thought.

    Amanda: I usually do any fasting make-ups when the days are shorter. Looks like this year will also be late August/early September.

    Missie: He's a mystery but the more you read about him, I think I start to like him a bit more.

    Jen: Isn't he? I love how he doesn't know what to do about Merit. :)

    Heidi: The fast obviously doesn't count so you have to make it up later. And then there's the guilty conscious thing too. :)

    Christy: I'm actually hungrier if I eat before sunrise. I just can't do it. I'd rather sleep in!


  11. I've had that happen a few times with movies... planning to go see it and then something would happen and we wouldn't be able to make the time we were going to. Then I would watch the movie later from the library and think "oh, thank goodness I didn't waste a ticket on this". It's kind of awesome how stuff like that happens, haha

    Ethan is definitely interesting, because at first I didn't really like him at all, but as the book goes on you kind of realize why he is the way he is, and he also starts to change a little bit, I think.


  12. Candace Says:

    I kinda hope that Morgan and Merit become good friends. I really like him but I'm not sure about a romance between the two. But I am suspicious of him so far...

    Those unplanned things that happen tend to make for some awesome memories! I remember my BFF once got lost in Portland when we first moved out here, but we live in Vancouver, over the ginormous Columbia River, so how she crossed the river and didn't notice is beyond me! But she called telling us she was at a McDonalds at the corner of two streets that was downtown Portland and she thought she was still in Vancouver! It was pretty funny but I had fun driving over there to meet her and we've laughed about it over the years since then.


  13. I love Ethan's arrogance. It's funny that I would never go for a guy like that in real life, but I am attracted to very strong guys in books. I consider Edward Cullen as one of those, although he's arrogant in a different way. However, I'm not as huge a fan of Barrons in Karen Moning's fever series. I like him but don't lust after him. Maybe because he was a bit too sexually dominating for my taste.


  14. Anonymous Says:

    Ramadan sounds like a pretty tough physical time. I don't know that I could fully switch the way I eat/drink like that. I wouldn't be a very happy person to be around!

    I'll also agree with you that while I'm more annoyed with insta-love in YA than in adult fiction I'd still like a little more of the relationship between Catcher and Mallory than we're getting. If there's going to be insta-love I'd like to hear all about it at least...not just be stuck on the sidelines.


  15. I think you've got Ethan nailed! He's out of touch with his humanity and Merit is so in touch with hers. So insightful!!

    I had Muslim friends in college that fasted during Ramadan and I broke the fast with them sometimes. It looked so tiring and yet they didn't scarf down the food as soon as it was okay to eat it. They waited patiently until the woman that had cooked the snack was seated and they broke the fast together. It really felt like it was part of something. I admire that kind of dedication.

    Yep, not finding the theater was definitely a sign. Hope you only rented the DVD of Troy.

    Great answers!

    Heather


  16. Unknown Says:

    Awesome answers. Ethan really is an enigma and that is true about his humanity, he has been around for more than 300 years. But I still feel the need to slap him sometimes. But I love the attraction between Ethan and Merit, it is incredible. Hot 'n' Cold is perfect for them. I am with Missie, not even having water during Ramadan. Dare I say, you have balls my lady LOL!

    I agree, the instant love in YA can be very annoying, but when its adults, I don't mind. Mallory and Catcher are amazing together, I think it is Neill's way to hold us over until Merit and Ethan both stop fighting the attraction between them. I love your story between you and your friend. Troy definitely isn't a great movie, but like Heidi said, Pitt barely dressed, makes up for it LOL! There you go again about Morgan. You are killing me right now LOL! I am so with you, it is nice reading about a woman who can eat well. Man, I would kill for those talents LOL! Great answers hon, thank you so much :)


  17. Prangon Says:

    I can understand. We don't get holidays during Ramadan only five days holiday for Eid. With school and work while fasting is pretty exhausting *sigh*

    Ethan is an enigma, he gives out this hot and cold vibes to Merit... AGH now I'll never get that song out of my head. Sings around 'You're hot then you're cold'


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails