Rummanah Aasi
  I wish I could be creative as Holly Black. The author is a prolific writer, who has written several different books for a variety of audiences: children to graphic novels. Earlier this year I saw a book trailer for her latest release, White Cat, that caught my interest. Take a look:



Description: Cassel Sharpe comes from a family of curse workers, people who have the ability to change things such your memory, luck, and emotions with just of a touch of their bare hands. Curse work is illegal and many of them are mobsters or con artists. Cassel comes from a criminal family and he is pretty much the least criminal out of them all. Well, not if you count, him murdering his best friend when he was in junior high.
  Now in high school and trying to pretend to 'fit in' with the normal crowd, Cassel is sleepwalking and having nightmares where a white cat is trying to tell him something. Not only does that freak him out, he is also noticing his brothers acting strangely around him. Cassel thinks he is part of a con, but he's not exactly sure what or by whom. All he knows that is somehow related to his best friend's murder that he can't forget. To find out the truth, he must outcon the conmen in his life.

Review: White Cat is an urban fantasy mystery that I really enjoyed. Black effortlessly weaves magic with con artistry and even science. Her world building and characters are intriguing. Cassel is a fun character to observe and read about. He is unlike any male, YA character that I have ever met. He is far from an innocent, sweet character. He is a bookie at his high school where students practically bet on anything. He uses his charms and quick wit to create the perfect con. While reading White Cat, I could never pin point his true intentions and I was always weary to trust him in fear that I, myself, would be tricked by him. All of these characteristics made a great, complex, shady character.
  I have talked with some readers who didn't like White Cat as much as I did mainly due to its slow pace. In my opinion, I think the slow pace was a deliberate move by the author. Cassel explains to the reader on what makes a great con: how to behave, what to and not do, etc. What I loved most about the book is trying to pick away the layers to mystery: what exactly happened on the night that Cassel murdered his best friend? How can he not know what happened? Is Cassel not really cursed or is he just told that he isn't? As I was reading, I felt that I could predict what would happen next and sometimes I was right, but not completely right. My answers would only be clues to the next con and the next. The layers of cons kept me on my feet and I absolutely loved how the book ended and I can't wait to see what happens. If you are interested in the characters and plot despite its slow pace, I think White Cat is a very worthwhile read.  

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is some language in the book and a few scenes of underage drinking. There is also some mild violence in the book too. Recommended to grades 9 and up.

If you like this book try: Red Glove by Holly Black (The Curse Workers #2, due out next year), Heist Society by Ally Carter, Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich


2 Responses
  1. Nat Says:

    Very nice review! I have this one on my shelf and am looking forward to it, even more so after reading your insightful review!


  2. Nat Says:

    BTW, we have an award for you:

    http://idsoratherbereading.blogspot.com/2010/10/sunshine-award.html


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails